Saturday, February 22, 2014

Loud and Undignified

This was such a tough day for our family. As we were on our way to Eddie’s oncologist appointment our front door knob broke off and the door became useless, we found out that Eddie has stage 4 cancer, and when we got home our upstairs toilet overflowed and started leaking into our downstairs office. I broke down and it was not pretty. I was able to reach two friends and I have no idea how they understood a word I was saying through my sobbing. Within 10 minutes another friend was in my driveway crying with me and just hugging me and then about six men from our church appeared and started taking care of everything. And it’s all fixed!! I cannot express our gratitude for these amazing people and how they met us in an hour of such deep need and sorrow.

Eddie has adenocarcinoma stage 4 metastatic lung cancer which they will start treating with tarceva. He will also be given weekly infusions to help strengthen his bones. Eddie is heartbroken mostly at the thought of what Bekah and me are going through and for what he might miss out on in our lives. What he is feeling is part of the process of receiving such life altering news and he has a strong trust in God’s sovereignty which brings him peace even in his present sadness.

I have pillows under my eyes from weeping and my prayers are not quiet and dignified. God is faithful and He can handle my lamenting and I feel His all encompassing arms around me with a steady and unflinching love and He is holding me and our family tight. The reality for all of us is that life on earth is like the blink of an eye and none of us are guaranteed tomorrow. Right now my husband is with me and I can love him, care for him, and continue to live life with him today. And God IS BIGGER than any cancer and our family is choosing to put our trust in God's healing power and that good will come from this!

No comments:

Post a Comment