Sunday, February 23, 2014

Wicked Thoughts

Update on Eddie…Today was an almost pain free day for Eddie! He is clear minded and continues to make remarkable progress each day. The chemo he’ll be starting is newly FDA approved and costs thousands of dollars and we are waiting on our insurance company to sign off on the prescription. If you have a moment we would appreciate your prayers for the process to be expedited. We are all eager for Eddie’s cancer to start being treated and we are praying that he will have minimal to no side effects from the chemo.

Bekah and I have wanted to see the musical Wicked for years and today we finally did! Before Dorothy landed in Oz, Elphaba, the Wicked Witch of the West, and Glinda, the Good Witch, had an unexpected friendship and Wicked tells their story. The play is rich with witty one liners and full of meaning. A must see if you have the opportunity. I won’t give any spoilers but wanted to share some insights that I think we can all relate to. From a young age Elphaba, the Wicked Witch, searched for meaning and approval from her father and ultimately the great Wizard of Oz. For a time she found meaning from those who recognized her sorcery talent. Glinda was self-absorbed and spent a great deal of time managing her image. They both had deep insecurities and searched for significance in different ways.

I think about my own insecurities and the ways I try to find significance from people and managing my image and how those practices actually compound the insecurity I feel. Jeremiah 29:13 says, “You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.” When I started seeking to know the character of God and trusting who He is I started to fall in love with Him as I discovered how much He loves me. And how much He loves every person on this planet! Seeking God is a process that takes time and I still struggle with finding my significance in illusive ways but I have a peace and confidence like never before because my foundation is set in knowing that my true worth is found through Jesus Christ.  And that’s what God offers every person whether we already have faith in Him or question who He is. If you are unsure about God, Explore God is a great resource that shows real people who have had doubts and questions most likely similar to yours. Whether or not you know Christ you can find peace, hope, and significance in this life as you seek and grow in Him. Eddie and I would not have peace or joy during this trying time without our firm trust in God’s goodness that comes as we continue to seek Him.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the updates. And I love your profile pic! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thankful for this blog, Cindy. Thank you for updating and being so honest and vulnerable. It is a blessing to read of how God is meeting you in the midst of this trial and sickness. I'm continuing to lift you all up and please feel free to text or call me anytime for any need.

    ReplyDelete